Have you heard about cloud solutions for manufacturers? It’s no secret that the demands on manufacturers are only growing with each passing year. Despite supply chain challenges and a growing labor shortage, customers still expect fast delivery and uninterrupted production. To meet these demands, many manufacturers are turning to cloud-based solutions. According to a study by Gartner, cloud service spending is cloud services is forecast to grow 20.4% this year alone.
This decision is part of a larger digital transformation, known as Industry 4.0, which includes the adoption of AI technologies, machine learning, and so much more. If you want to avoid falling behind the competition, you should consider integrating cloud-based solutions into your manufacturing processes.
What is the Cloud?
Odds are, you’ve heard about “cloud services” but aren’t exactly sure what “the cloud” actually is, and even less, what the benefits of cloud solutions for manufacturers even are. When service providers talk about the cloud, they’re talking about a network of servers that can be used to store, process, and manage data. Anyone who wants to use these server networks can access them via the internet.
Types of Cloud Solutions for Manufacturers
Because of the cloud’s flexibility, there are many cloud-based solutions that can give manufacturers a competitive edge. But the three most popular options are as follows:
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). This solution gives you access to enterprise-level computing capabilities and data storage. This includes IaaS servers, networking capabilities, and operating systems. If you need to store quite a bit of data, run multiple applications, and access all your company’s data off-site, IaaS is for you.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS). This solution allows you to create and deploy custom applications to help streamline internal processes. PaaS solutions can range from complex coding to no-code at all. If you’re looking to build your own applications that will assist you in your manufacturing efforts, PaaS is for you.
- Software as a Service (SaaS). This solution gives you access to specific software and web-based applications that are managed and maintained by a third-party cloud provider. If you’re in need of pre-built remote monitoring programs, skills management programs, or systems that track your production cycle from start to finish, SaaS is for you.
Benefits of Cloud Solutions for Manufacturers
Traditionally, manufacturing technologies were stored on in-house computers and servers that needed to be updated and maintained by specific employees or even teams of employees. But with cloud solutions like IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS, manufacturers can enjoy a whole host of benefits:
- Improved Reliability. If a particular software is stored on individual computers, there’s a risk of files being corrupted by a particular user, or one computer going offline and disrupting an entire process. With cloud solutions, everything is run through one heavily encrypted, highly streamlined virtual location, ensuring that none of your mission-critical operations are interrupted.
- Simple Scaling. Thanks to pay-as-you go models, you’re able to easily scale your cloud solutions up or down depending on what you need.
- Less Infrastructure Spending. With most cloud solutions, you don’t need to purchase in-house servers, specialized hardware, or additional IT staff. All you need to do is pay a low, monthly subscription and you receive all the services and support you need.
- Centralized Program Management. Cloud solutions allow you to designate who accesses the services. With one simple login, administrators and other staff can access their designated service from any computer on the floor or in the office.
And for smaller manufacturers, cloud solutions for manufacturers provide a way for them to achieve a smart manufacturing system without investing in extensive IT or software infrastructures. This keeps them competitive with other, larger businesses.
GreenStar Solutions: The Manufacturers’ Cloud Service Broker
Looking for cloud solutions for manufacturers that fits your needs? GreenStar Solutions can help! From IaaS to SaaS, we’re committed to finding the right cloud solution for your business and budget. With our portfolio of over 40 trusted cloud service suppliers, we’re sure to find the right cloud solutions for manufacturers like you. Contact us for a free Custom Cloud Solutions Analysis for your organization.