Cybersecurity is a field that has grown almost at the same pace as technology. Being updated on cybersecurity trends is necessary to protect your business as a business owner. The newest disruptor to the cyber and tech industries is the rise of AI software like ChatGPT and Jasper.
AI, like any other technology, can represent a target and an ally when it comes to cybersecurity. In fact, 51% of IT decision-makers believe there will be a successful cyberattack credited to ChatGPT within the year. So, let’s talk about AI cybersecurity threats and opportunities.
AI Threats for Cybersecurity
Artificial Intelligence and bot attacks continue to prey upon businesses’ cybersecurity measures in many ways.
The most common ways to prey upon businesses using bots are:
- DDoS Attacks: DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service. A DDoS attack occurs when a server gets overwhelmed with traffic. Because of the high demand, the server crashes and is inaccessible to legitimate users. DDoS attacks usually involve botnets to disrupt operations.
- Spamming and phishing: According to a Lookout report, 2022 was the year with the highest rate of mobile phishing, with half of the mobile phone owners worldwide exposed to a phishing attack every quarter. This tendency doesn’t seems to still be present in 2023.
Bots can have a significant role in phishing attacks as they are used to send spam emails or phishing messages. One of the most common ways is to impersonate organizations like Microsoft, Google, or Amazon to steal information from targets.
- Data harvesting: Data harvesting refers to collecting information from various sources, whether that be websites, social media, apps, etc. Bots are used to scrape websites and online databases for information without the user’s knowledge.
AI Opportunities for Cybersecurity
But cybersecurity trends are not exclusively focused on threats and attacks. Many protocols and technology are being developed in order to keep your information secure. The development of some AI is focused on how to prevent cybercrimes.
- Threat Detection: Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning can be great for identifying and even preventing threats. Using analytics tools, you can identify possible attacks faster and draw statistical inferences that can help you reinforce your business security. In other words, it can help you test and diagnose your business’s cyber security.
Early prevention cannot be dismissed as a powerful way to ensure your business’s security.
- User Authentication and Access Control: With AI, you can build more verification steps to help you prevent any information leaks. By incorporating behavioral analytics, AI can identify unusual activity. For example, if you’re an iOS user and someone’s trying to get into your account from an Android, it will ask for authorization before letting the threat access your information.
- Fraud detection: Ai can implement algorithms to identify patterns and analyze transactional data in real-time to prevent fraud.
Other Trends to Keep Your Business Secure
Although understanding how Ai can change the world of cybersecurity is important, many other cybersecurity trends aren’t necessarily involved with AI.
Zero-Trust-Architecture, for example, is a cybersecurity framework built to “never trust, always verify.” This means the system considers every user, device, and network untrustworthy and potentially insecure.
Another overlooked method to secure your data is to provide information and workshops to employees about cyber threats. Some companies even test their knowledge with phishing-baited emails to confirm their employees are paying enough attention to possible scams.
After all, a simple and innocent click can compromise sensitive information about your business and, most importantly, your customers. So, you must take every measure to ensure the protection of your cybersecurity.
Start Protecting Your Business Against Cyber Threats with GreenStar Solutions
Harness the telecom expertise of GreenStar Solutions as your trusted consultant to strengthen your business against cyber threats. Schedule a consultation today and tap into their deep industry knowledge and insights. Safeguard your valuable data and fortify your telecom infrastructure with the strategic guidance of GreenStar Solutions.